Current Vehicles

1967 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4x4

Monday, October 22, 2012

Transfer Case Swap #1

Ever since I've had this Land Cruiser, the transfer case has been super loud!  When I had my NV4500 swapped in, I also paid to have the transfer case rebuilt.  It still whined after the rebuild, but I learned from ih8mud that rebuilds don't typically cure a loud whine, unless its the idler shaft.

Well, I finally got tired of the loud whine and found me another transfer case to swap in ($50).  When I pulled the "rebuilt" one, I found that it was missing a bearing!  A huge bearing!  If I ever find that guy that I paid to rebuild it (he's out of business now)...


I did the dual speedo seal mod at the same time to cure a light drip that I had (it worked awesome).  I took it to a friend with a lathe.


But when I put the transfer case in, I forgot to line up the front drive collar, so I didn't have 4 wheel drive!

So, I had to drain the fluid again and fix it.  

In the end, this transfer case wasn't much different than the previous one.  I think I'm just a diva or something, but I can't stand these loud transfer cases.  I grew up with a '73 FJ40, but it had a split transfer case swapped into it since I was about 7 years old.  I decided to upgrade this one to the much quieter (I hope) FJ60 split transfer case.  



No comments: