Current Vehicles

1967 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4x4

Sunday, April 1, 2012

bumpers


I've been working on a bumper/tire carrier/jack holder.


Finished!  I may regret not making it swing out some day but since my tailgate is a bolt on, I couldn't justify the extra time and expense right now.

I've also been working on a front bumper. I wanted something that had more clearance, held the winch more securely, looked better, and was relatively easy to make. I'm getting a little tired of metal work, mostly the mess that it leaves in the garage.

I started with a DIY Jeep bumper from AtoZfabrication

To mount it, I had to make some brackets. I cut some brackets out of an old winch plate and drilled some holes. Also, I had to cut a couple tabs off of the bumper. And, I welded a couple gussets on the backside for strength. Overall, I'm very happy with it, for no more than it cost or time it took.

Anyone recognize the tow hook loops that I mounted on top? The hole spacing was perfect, so I had to use them. They still need painted.

Also, I still need a better way of mounting my solenoid box. I just have it zip tied to the top of the winch for now...


No comments: