Current Vehicles

1967 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4x4

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Roll Cage 2

I decided to have someone else install the cage.  There were a few reasons for this:

1.  I've welded a lot on this rig, but mostly on non-safety things.   I'm not a great welder.
2.  From assembling those Metal Tech tube fenders and my own sliders, I know that I don't have a lot of patience for fitting tubing (notches, gaps).
3.  My wife didn't want me in the garage weekend after weekend working on this.

So I took it to a local bumper fabricator.  He also does custom stuff (like a rear 3rd gen 4runner bumper that he's working on now).  He does very good work and I'm really please with the job he did assembling this kit.  He would've built the cage from scratch, but we decided to order the kit in the end.
 
http://backwoodsbumpers.com/

I dropped off the cruiser at his shop last Friday and he was done by this Friday!  Over the years and all my project vehicles, I've taken work to a shop probably 10-15 times.  Usually, it sits around and becomes last priority for the shop.  This was literally the best experience I've had--and he is super busy. He's 8 weeks out on all orders (I had to wait 10-11 weeks to get this work scheduled).




No comments: